• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it illegal to try to log into someone else's online account e.g. Email, Ebay, etc?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nunya123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina. A friend of mine's previous employer has threatened legal action because they tried to log into her Email & Ebay accounts on the day that she abruptly let them go. As an employer she had given them all of her account passwords...and had not expressly revoked their privileges to access her accounts at the time that the attempts were made. The passwords had been changed without any notice so my friend tried to guess the secret questions in order to get in. Is this person at risk for any legal action from the former employer? Please note that the accounts were never actually accessed under the new passwords, but only attempts were made. ANY advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated! This person can't exactly afford any legal hassle after being let go without any notice or severance. We could use some relief from this worry. Thanks!

P.S. The employer is threatening legal action for Tampering, Identity Theft, & Breach of Trust. It must also be noted that the Employer is an individual who sells from an ID on ebay...not a registered business with the BBB or any other organization.

nunya123

Happy Wonderer, is 'triple post' something that I'm not supposed to do? I honestly don't know, I've never posted anything like this before. Please let me know if it is and I will fix the problem.

My apologies.

Antigone*

Happy Wonderer, is 'triple post' something that I'm not supposed to do? I honestly don't know, I've never posted anything like this before. Please let me know if it is and I will fix the problem.

My apologies.
Post your question only once. Please delete this thread and the duplicate one.

Thank you,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">