• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Indemnity through a clause?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tomp_gl

Hi,

I have a situation on my website where user submitted content may be a partial copyright infringement, or may be legal if the submitter obtained permission from the original author(s). If i had a checkbox that said something in the order of "I obtained permission", would this indemnify (beyond removing the content upon request) my website if the content was infringing? Would this transfer liability to the end user submitting the content?

Currently i use the DCMA policy and remove infringing content as soon as it is identified or requested to be removed by the author. Would the afore mentioned checkbox clause in combination with the DCMA policy strengthen my position as a content provider?

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">