• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Internet Business Slander/boycott

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pug_owner

Atlanta,Ga

Hi,
I'm wondering if we'd have a case here.I'm a staff member of a event called Gothcon.It's a yearly gothic convention held in Atlanta,GA that has been put on for 3 years now.It use to be a charity event.This is a long twisting and turning story so please bear with me.Well one of the years the director of the event can't come up with the receipt of the charity donation because the director didn't have a checking account at the time so she had someone else write the check for her.The person that wrote the check for her it may have passed away in 9/11and she can't get in contact with the family ect to get a copy of the processed check ect.She gives a long explanation of the missing receipt situation on this post http://www.livejournal.com/community/goth_con/981.html?mode=reply So a few people weren't satisfied with that answer.So they decide to start up a Boycott of our event.Someone had donated the .net version of the Gothcon website and once they boycott came out they took that back over to use it to tell people that the director stole from charity *which she did not and she was never convicted or even charged with anything* and not to go to the event.Which we as the staff were fine with that as people have a right to they opinion but they started up a Live Journal community http://www.livejournal.com/community/gcinquisition which has not only been used to boycott our event but it has been used to harass the staff members.It has also encouraged people to harass people participating in the event in anyway shape and form see this post here http://www.livejournal.com/community/gcinquisition/71204.html?mode=reply after this was posted some of the bands for the event *which is coming up in Oct* backed out of the event because of the harassment by the boycotters.I understand people have a right to boycott but to me you can't accuse someone of stealing from charity that has never been convicted or charged with anything at all.And to encourage people harass the staff and participants of the event when like I said no one has been charged and convicted of anything and it is ruining the events business because of the top named bands dropping out ect.So is there any way the director and maybe the staff can do anything about this?At least have the LJ taken down down and have like a desist put out for them to stop doing it online.I know people will still continue to boycott that is fine but them doing it over the net had gotten totally totally out of hand and it's not only ruining the business of the event,but the business of the staff member and participants.Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!
Thank You

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">