• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Internet Forum Posting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FreeBird77

I was posting on a well known internet website in their Finance section for stocks. I have been highly critical of one particular stock due to it appears to be a Pump and Dump OTC penny stock scam. One individual responded to me in anger by posting the name of the home town that I use to live in; I assume as some kind of a threat to make me stop. He did not post the old address or my name, just the town. How this individual got it, I have no idea. Did he break the law?

quincy

I was posting on a well known internet website in their Finance section for stocks. I have been highly critical of one particular stock due to it appears to be a Pump and Dump OTC penny stock scam. One individual responded to me in anger by posting the name of the home town that I use to live in; I assume as some kind of a threat to make me stop. He did not post the old address or my name, just the town. How this individual got it, I have no idea. Did he break the law?
What is the name of your state, FreeBird77?

Posting the name of someone's home town is not illegal.

FreeBird77

What is the name of your state, FreeBird77?

Posting the name of someone's home town is not illegal.

Hi Quincy. Thanks for responding. My state is NJ. What if I am robbed or damage to my home due to someone posted a home town. I don't expect anything to happen. I deleted rather quickly. Just curious.

quincy

Hi Quincy. Thanks for responding. My state is NJ.
Thanks for providing your state name, FreeBird77.

Names, addresses and phone numbers are (with very few exceptions) considered public information and can be legally published (and are legally published, in phone books for example).

A word of caution: You need to be very careful what you say online. Opinions are fine to express, whether the opinions are positive or negative, but you should not state or imply any false facts about an identified or identifiable person or entity. That is a good way to get yourself sued.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
A few years back, someone on this board took offense at something I said and posted my name, full address, phone number, husband's name, employment, and probably a few other things I've forgotten (anyone from those days who remembers is free to remind me) on several hundred threads on both this and other law forums.

HE had broken the law. But that was because, in advance of the posting, he informed me that he would not post it if I paid him money.

The actual posting itself did not violate anything. All the information was public info that he obtained legally.

If you are robbed or otherwise damaged, and you can show by valid and supportable evidence that will hold up in court that the DIRECT CAUSE of the robbery or damage was someone posting the name of your home town on an internet forum, we can revisit the question then. Until that, you've got nothing.

quincy

A few years back, someone on this board took offense at something I said and posted my name, full address, phone number, husband's name, employment, and probably a few other things I've forgotten (anyone from those days who remembers is free to remind me) on several hundred threads on both this and other law forums.

HE had broken the law. But that was because, in advance of the posting, he informed me that he would not post it if I paid him money.

The actual posting itself did not violate anything. All the information was public info that he obtained legally.

If you are robbed or otherwise damaged, and you can show by valid and supportable evidence that will hold up in court that the DIRECT CAUSE of the robbery or damage was someone posting the name of your home town on an internet forum, we can revisit the question then. Until that, you've got nothing.
I remember well the problems you experienced, cbg, and I would argue that some of what was posted about you violated a law or two (although fashioning a case would have been expensive, with no guarantee of success).

There have been a few cases where newspapers were sued because they published the names and city names of family members in obituary notices that also mentioned the time and date of memorial services. These family members had their residences robbed during the time that the thieves knew they would be attending the services.

The newspapers did not violate any laws by publishing the names, addresses or city names - however they now, as a rule and for ethical reasons, no longer publish this information.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your counsel at the time was much appreciated, Quincy, as was the support and assistance I received from a number of long time members and from FreeAdvice itself. There was more to it than I have posted here, as you know.

However, I think our OP is a tad paranoid if he truly believes that publishing the name of his hometown, with no address and no information about when he is and is not present, is enough to cause a robbery or other damages.

quincy

Your counsel at the time was much appreciated, Quincy, as was the support and assistance I received from a number of long time members and from FreeAdvice itself. There was more to it than I have posted here, as you know.

However, I think our OP is a tad paranoid if he truly believes that publishing the name of his hometown, with no address and no information about when he is and is not present, is enough to cause a robbery or other damages.
I think FreeBird77 could have more to worry about with his "pump and dump" and "scam" comments than he does in having his home vandalized or burglarized because the name of his city was published.

I again want to caution him to be careful about what he states as facts without proof of the truth of his statements. And, if he ever becomes concerned for his safety, contacting the police would not be a dumb idea.

FreeBird77

cbg, thanks for responding. No, not paranoid at all. I was more curious than anything else. Also curious how this individual got my name considering the major site, user names are supposed to be anonymous. It goes to show that you are not completely anonymous. I got into it with this individual trading barbs. In the otc realm of trading stocks, promoters are hired to pump stocks enticing people to buy based on false hopes. I think he really got mad when I referred to his alleged physical features.. Apparently, others on the forum have and I mentioned it. That prompted him to post my home town. More than likely a veil meaningless threat. You never know. Tons of crazies out here. In any event, I'm done posting. Kind of silly anyway.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

FreeBird77

I think FreeBird77 could have more to worry about with his "pump and dump" and "scam" comments than he does in having his home vandalized or burglarized because the name of his city was published.

I again want to caution him to be careful about what he states as facts without proof of the truth of his statements. And, if he ever becomes concerned for his safety, contacting the police would not be a dumb idea.
Although I referenced IMO (In my opinion) before every post, I'm done posting.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If posting IMO in front of a post was enough to protect you from libel claims, no one would ever get sued.

I just noticed that the home town that was posted is your former home town, not even where you live now. You want to tell me how posting the name of a town where you don't even live is enough to subject you to the threat of robbery?

quincy

... Also curious how this individual got my name considering the major site, user names are supposed to be anonymous. It goes to show that you are not completely anonymous ... Tons of crazies out here. In any event, I'm done posting. ...
Yes. There is little anonymity on the internet. A big reason for that is people often freely disclose personal information about themselves online. And the real person behind a user id can be discovered by almost anyone, too, with just a little diligence, perhaps some technical know-how, or a court order.

As a note, prefacing a statement with "in my opinion" does not make a defamatory statement less defamatory and will not prevent a defamation suit.

Not saying anything false, derogatory or defamatory about an identified or identifiable person or entity can certainly be one of the best ways to avoid a lawsuit. I don't think not posting is necessary, however, as long as one is careful when they post.

Good luck, FreeBird77.

Last edited:

FreeBird77

Yes. There is little anonymity on the internet. A big reason for that is people often freely disclose personal information about themselves online. And the real person behind a user id can be discovered by almost anyone, too, with just a little diligence, perhaps some technical know-how, or a court order.

As a note, prefacing a statement with "in my opinion" does not make a defamatory statement less defamatory and will not prevent a defamation suit.

Not saying anything false, derogatory or defamatory about an identified or identifiable person or entity can certainly be one of the best ways to avoid a lawsuit. I don't think not posting is necessary, however, as long as one is careful when they post.

Good luck, FreeBird77.

Thanks again Mate....I need to find more hobbies. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">