• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Internet Harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lamegreg

New Hampshire

Hello.

Forgive me if this is lengthy.

I, along with my friends have have been playing an online game for quite sometime. In this game we play villains, more or less. Our objective is to regularly defeat another group of players within our territory until they either surrender or move.

We do this very effectively. But as to be expected with some games, people occasionally get over competitive. There have been insults thrown occasionally both in game and through outside forums. Seven months ago my friends and I stopped playing mentioned game because we grew bored with it.

Recently we started playing again. Within a week of our arrival I made a YouTube video in character. Saying we'll defeat them, we're back, blah, blah. Since our return I've made no attempt other than the YouTube video to contact them.

One particular individual in this group is claiming harassment against me. He's messaged me implying I have a mental illness, he has pity for me, et cetera. But in this message he also warned for me never to contact him again.

Seeing this as a lame attempt at getting the last word I message him back, informing him that I'm tired of his attitude and I will respond to any message that's aimed toward me if I feel the need. I send the message twice, to two of his YouTube accounts. To make sure he receives the message.

He replies to one of them claiming I'm harassing him and that if I do not stop, he's going to "contact my local law enforcement agency."

I made no attempt to contact him after that. A day later he logs into his second YouTube account and sees the duplicate message. He informs me "to cease and desist" and that he is currently forwarding this information, and everything else he's collected on me to my local law enforcement organization.

My question is, does he have a harassment case? I've made absolutely no attempt to contact him for seven months, besides a two minute long YouTube video as to how we're going to defeat his rival group. The game has an indirect messaging system that involves spray painting on walls. I spray painted the YouTube URL in his territory. That's all.

All of my direct contact with him has been in response to his messages to me.

My personal opinion is that he needs to take this a little less seriously. As he's shown he really doesn't want to be contacted I don't plan on doing so. But I find it a little ridiculous that he's calling harassment, when all I've done is respond to his messages.

Granted, he probably has trash talk messages where I did contact him directly and first, saved from over seven months ago. But that communication stopped then.

The Occultist

My advice: wait until you get some sort of official document before you worry about anything. Once you've received an official looking letter, post back with some more details.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">