• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is It Legal to Spoof an email address

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

galwaydave

State: Illinois
I recieved an email today, apparantly from myself (ie. my email address) It was spam of course but they said they were targeting non profits or something. I need to know if it is legal to use someones email address to email them?

Dave OToole

galwaydave

Because

I know the party responsible for sending the email or at least who paid them to do it. I just need to know if it is legal or not? It seems to me it would come under identity theft laws particularly if the domain name is a privately owned domain.

Crazed98

I don't know what the specifics on the law are but I don't see what your real problem is if you don't want to recieve anymore spam from yourself then just block yourself.

mari79

Not familiar with IL law but some states do have laws against email spoofing.
The federal CAN SPAM Act also makes it illegal to send unsolicited e-mail with false or misleading headers or deceptive subject lines.

you can forward the email to [email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">