• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Links on social media pages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lilocrane

This just came to mind while I was browsing my Facebook page. I was wondering, can we hold Facebook or social media sites responsible if an account was hacked through an advertisement link(or suggested pages) on their page?

quincy

This just came to mind while I was browsing my Facebook page. I was wondering, can we hold Facebook or social media sites responsible if an account was hacked through an advertisement link(or suggested pages) on their page?
What is the name of your state, lilocrane, or, if not in the US, what is the name of your country?

And, when you provide this information, perhaps you can explain a bit better the "hacking through an advertising link" problem.

It is the hacker who will be held legally responsible for any hacking. In the US, web hosts are (generally) immune from suit under the Communications Decency Act, Section 230.

Benny Henson

This just came to mind while I was browsing my Facebook page. I was wondering, can we hold Facebook or social media sites responsible if an account was hacked through an advertisement link (or suggested pages) on their page?
Facebook or any other social media site didn't hack any user account for posting an advertisement link on their page, because they are for it and everybody did that.
They only suspend you or ban you, but can't hack your account. Hacking mainly doing by third party.

quincy

Facebook or any other social media site didn't hack any user account for posting an advertisement link on their page, because they are for it and everybody did that.
They only suspend you or ban you, but can't hack your account. Hacking mainly doing by third party.
Your post is a bit confusing as written, Benny Henson.

lilocrane has not returned to the forum since she posted her question over a month ago. She has not answered the question asked of all posters to this site which is: What is the name of your state? If lilocrane is not in the US, she will need to seek help in her area of the world.

In the US, however, there is as I mentioned earlier the Communications Decency Act, Section 230, which provides an immunity from suit to sites like Facebook and other social media sites for what is published on their sites by others.

Here is a link to the CDA, 230: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/47/230

I agree with you that Facebook would not hack, or have a need to hack, their own user accounts.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">