• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Media Streaming Device

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thedude2014

United States, Kansas

Hello everyone,

Point me towards another area on the forum if necessary.

I have begun development for a media streaming device that will be sold as a product to consumers with the intent to stream media off home networks and internet. Although this type of device is not new to the market, I want to cover all possible legal complications that may arise. This will be a several part inquiry, so I would like start from what i consider the bones of the project. Hardware and software.

The hardware used in the product will fall under what I would believe to be "rebranding" as the hardware will go unchanged from the time it is purchased until it ships. The software will be open source, (free to use and distribute) so this does not have the same level of concern.

Simply, my question may have been about "rebranding" a product. Hopefully, I have detailed my legal concern enough to move forward on. Do let me know if a further detailed description of the product is needed.

Thank you in advance-

quincy

thedude, rebranding is a concern, as can be using some "open source" material (ie, not all open source material is free to use and distribute), as can be your general idea for a media streaming device.

You run into copyright, trademark and patent issues that will all need addressing.

In other words, your idea as expressed here seems to have multiple areas which can lead to legal problems. An expert's personal review will be required.

Good luck.

tranquility

Frankly, even an expert would probably not advise going ahead with it until ABC v. Aereo is decided by the Supreme Court.

quincy

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Aereo's dodge is cute, but as stated I don't think it will fly. Essentially they are attempting to dodge the CATV rules by arguing that since they give every customer their own receiver and antenna, they're just renting equipment and not really providing transmission services. I don't think it's going to fly in my personal opinion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">