• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Naming a program for program x - x loader

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wizardnyc

What is the name of your state? New York
Hi,
This is a two part question, I am a programmer that makes program for a chat program call paltalk, now they are trying to sue me for using the word paltalk in my programs,
lets say I make and admin bot for the program and I call the program Paltalk Admin Bot is that wrong also, this might be off topic, but they for what it seems to me, want me to remove the word paltalk out of my site completely, at list thas how i see it :) is that right can a program producer make me remove the word of my whole site.
thanks

The Occultist

Yes. It sounds like they hold trademark rights to the name, and for you to use the name in such a way that people think that anything you do is endorsed by the company, then you are infringing on the trademark.

Wizardnyc

Thanks for your response.
One thing if I make a disclaimer saying that I am not indorse by paltalk or have any part with it, will I still be liable.
Thanks again

Wizardnyc

Lol, yes i still doing research on Trademark and stuff and I read bout cases where the disclaimer is nothing,

So I decided to comply :)

One thing. What confuses me is this they tell in the letter i cannot use the word paltalk at all or at list that what it seems, is this posible that a company can tell anyone no to use their name.

Right now I only use the word paltalk to describe a program, for example lets say that there is a program call greeter this how the total description would look

Auto Greeter
With this program you can greet people in the Paltalk room with a text as they come to the room

Is this still braking the trademark law?

Thanks again

The Occultist

As long as you are stating nothing but facts and not using the name to make it sound that they company is endorsing your site in any way, then you should not have a problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">