• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

online slander??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JUSTJACKOHIO

What is the name of your state? OH

My real name is being slandered on a website with someone using an alias. This person has stated my real name and has stated false comments about me previous work history. This person has made comments like:

"The getting in trouble breaking the playlist at (XXXX) station and then again the 2nd finally at XXXX station. We all know you left XXXX station because of you efforts to oust the program director."

Also:
"Did you know the XXXX station staff played tapes of you that year at the Christmas Party and laughed. Are you aware you were/are the running joke."

Both set of quotes bother me (the first ones more than the other). This is a site that is visited by professionals of the industry, along with possible future employers. The claims made in the first quotes are outright wrong and can be proven!

Also, what about the second set of quotes. This person clearly came out and stated this in a public forum. What, if any action, can be taken to take this to a legal level. This person has intentionally done this to slander my name.

Thanks for any assistance!

Whyte Noise

OK, since you complained in the other thread about nobody helping you, I'll give you a few pointers.

#1. Slander = SPOKEN defamation.

Libel = WRITTEN defamation.

If someone is writing messages on a message board about you, that's called libel. Not slander. This might be one reason no one has responded to you.

#2. What "damages" has this caused you? In order to prove a case of defamation (either slander OR libel) you have to prove a few things.

a.) That what was spoken or written was false, or that the person writing it or speaking it should have KNOWN it was false.

b.) That you have suffered damages as a result of the slander or libel.

If you have proof that what they wrote was false, then you may meet one part of the test. But, you also have to prove how you were damaged. I.E. Your reputation so damaged that no one will hire you, you were fired from your job based on the remarks, etc. Simply being pissed that someone is writing untruths about you isn't going to cut it. You have to prove actual damages in order to win.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">