• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Online Slander/Harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SmallWorld

I am in Florida - the perp is in BC, Canada.

I run on online forum (a VB actually) and have banned someone due to them trying to harass members. This person has now contacted my host and VB and lied about me stating that I hacked into her email account and that I threatened her. She is spreading this to anyone she can. I know what has been going on because a third party has been forwarding me her emails and chats. I have banned her IP's and she has continued to log on with others. She has also had her "friends" send me nasty emails. I am going to contact VB and my host myself but I would like to know what my rights are and what I should do from here.

Thank you.

ALawyer

Aside from protesting to her ISP and absent any criminal laws or terrorism threats, as a practical matter there is very little people can do to protect themselves from abuse on the net from nut cases and truly vicious people, particularly across international boundries.

One approach on bulletin boards is to create a registration requirement to post, and then in the Agreement create terms and conditions that require the person to represent he or she has not previously been banned, and imposing a contractually defined charge for each well defined abusive posting, and also getting registration to be a consent to jurisdiction in the courts of your state for their postings. Then you have a basis to charge and sue them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">