• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parental Rights to Messaging

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vandy85

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine

I'm here as a 17-year-old male who owns, from top to bottom, his own cell phone. My name is on the plan, I pay the bill each month, I own the device itself and its protection plans. My custodial parents have taken the device and are in the process of attempting to get me to tell them my passcode so that they can go through my social history. Certainly I know that I have very few rights as a minor in their custody, but do they have the right to the information on my personal device?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine

I'm here as a 17-year-old male who owns, from top to bottom, his own cell phone. My name is on the plan, I pay the bill each month, I own the device itself and its protection plans. My custodial parents have taken the device and are in the process of attempting to get me to tell them my passcode so that they can go through my social history. Certainly I know that I have very few rights as a minor in their custody, but do they have the right to the information on my personal device?
Yes, your custodial parents have the right to take your cell phone, this even if you purchased it yourself and are paying the bills each month, and your custodial parents have the right to go through your social history.

The police, on the other hand, do not have this right - at least without a warrant.

Parents have a responsibility to their children and this responsibility includes ensuring their children are safe, both legally and physically. Too many children use their cell phones in inappropriate ways and these ways can get them in all sorts of trouble. When you look at it as your parents trying to protect you, you might accept this easier.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">