• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paypal account limitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EvgEvg

My account access with paypal was limited and paypal decided to refuse me in service in the future.

My personal information (SSN, bank account, credit card number etc.) is being held by paypal and since my account is 'limited' I can not delete my account and I can not delete any financial information associated with my account.

Is it legal that paypal holds my information against my will?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My account access with paypal was limited and paypal decided to refuse me in service in the future.

My personal information (SSN, bank account, credit card number etc.) is being held by paypal and since my account is 'limited' I can not delete my account and I can not delete any financial information associated with my account.

Is it legal that paypal holds my information against my will?
1: US Law Only
2: You already authorized this.

EvgEvg

1: US Law Only
2: You already authorized this.
Thank you for very quick response.

(Yes, I was asking about US law, sorry I didn't specify)

So just because I clicked 'I agree with terms and conditions' when I created an account with them means that they can hold my information for as long as they want? Is there a way that I can request from a company that holds my information to delete it from it's records upon my request?

Antigone*

Thank you for very quick response.

(Yes, I was asking about US law, sorry I didn't specify)

So just because I clicked 'I agree with terms and conditions' when I created an account with them means that they can hold my information for as long as they want? Is there a way that I can request from a company that holds my information to delete it from it's records upon my request?
US Law Only
Yes it does!

EvgEvg

US Law Only
Yes it does!
Thank you. I still don't understand how it is possible if I want my information to be deleted from their database, I'll try to talk to a lawyer.

For me I see it like that:

1. I created an account and agree with terms
2. They refuse me in service
3. I don't want to deal with them anymore. I don't want them to hold my information
4. They still have my account even though they REFUSED me in service. And I can not delete it.

Also, that's what I see in their terms

7. Closing Your Account.
7.1 How to Close Your Account. You may close your Account at any time by following the instructions in your Account Profile. Upon Account closure, we will cancel any pending transactions and you will forfeit any Balances associated with Redemption Codes, unless otherwise legally prohibited. You must withdraw your Balance prior to closing your Account. If you have a pending PAD payment, we will not close your Account until that payment has been made.

7.2 Limitations on Closing Your Account. You may not close your Account to evade an investigation. If you attempt to close your Account while we are conducting an investigation, we may hold your funds for up to 180 Days to protect PayPal, its affiliates, or a third party against the risk of Reversals, Chargebacks, Claims, fees, fines, penalties and other liability. You will remain liable for all obligations related to your Account even after the Account is closed.

7.3 Escheatment of Dormant Accounts. If you do not log in to your Account for two or more years, PayPal may close your Account and send the Balance to your primary address, or, if required, escheat (send) your Balance to your state of residency. PayPal will determine your residency based on the state listed in your primary address. If your address is unknown or registered in a foreign country, your funds will be escheated to the state of Delaware. Where required, PayPal will send you a notice prior to escheating or closing your Account. If you fail to respond to this notice, your Balance will be escheated to the required state. If you would like to claim any escheated funds from the state, please contact your state's Unclaimed Property Administrator.

Can you explain how I may not close my account after that? Or I better just call customer service again?

EDIT: My account was 'limited' 3 years ago so there is no investigations or transactions pending.

Antigone*

Thank you. I still don't understand how it is possible if I want my information to be deleted from their database, I'll try to talk to a lawyer.

3. I don't want to deal with them anymore. I don't want them to hold my information
4. They still have my account even though they REFUSED me in service. And I can not delete it.

Can you explain how I may not close my account after that? Or I better just call customer service again?

EDIT: My account was 'limited' 3 years ago so there is no investigations or transactions pending.
Closing your account does not equate to deleting the information.:rolleyes: Go pay an attorney, it would be nice for you to contribute to their revenue stream, especially during the holidays.

Proserpina

What I think you're confusing is presence of the account itself, and your personal information - they're two different things.

You cannot compel them to delete or remove your personal information. You can, evidently, close the account though.

EvgEvg

What I think you're confusing is presence of the account itself, and your personal information - they're two different things.

You cannot compel them to delete or remove your personal information. You can, evidently, close the account though.
Ok, thank you. That's what I am going to do.

swalsh411

Paypay is not going to permanently delete from existence the records of your account or transactions. Did you really think they would?

tranquility

Pretend you tell me a secret.

Later you regret it.

Even with an attorney, a crooked judge and enough dollars to bribe 2/3 of Congress (A dollar fifty at going rates.), you can't make me forget.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">