• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Posting of Personal Information Online

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NotFunny

Hi from California. There is a website called publicwhitepages.com which is publishing unlisted phone numbers as well as other private data online, and will not remove the data unless you PAY them. Is this legal? I have an unlisted number. Not sure why I should pay to have something removed that I am already paying the phone company for keeping private. I've wondered why I am having so much trouble with telemarketers and people spoofing my number, and now perhaps know why. Thanks for any help of relevant comments. I am not very hopeful that much can be done, but darned if I am going be extorted, and that is what it feels like.

quincy

Hi from California. There is a website called publicwhitepages.com which is publishing unlisted phone numbers as well as other private data online, and will not remove the data unless you PAY them. Is this legal? I have an unlisted number. Not sure why I should pay to have something removed that I am already paying the phone company for keeping private. I've wondered why I am having so much trouble with telemarketers and people spoofing my number, and now perhaps know why. Thanks for any help of relevant comments. I am not very hopeful that much can be done, but darned if I am going be extorted, and that is what it feels like.
You can go to the website and edit/control the information published about you. There is a "privacy setting" which allows you to block public view of your personal information. There is no charge for this. But, by using the site to edit or control the information about you, you must provide personal identifying information. Whether you are comfortable with this or not is a decision you have to make.

The Public White Pages site is a public records search, not unlike many others. If your phone number was ever public, it can appear on a search. The website does not guarantee the accuracy of what appears on their site.

justalayman

You have an unlisted phone number. That means the phone company does not publish your phone number. It doesn't mean anybody else can't. So where did they get it?

Regarding telemarketers; have you registered on the federal and state, if your state has one of their own, do not call list?

NotFunny

You can go to the website and edit/control the information published about you. There is a "privacy setting" which allows you to block public view of your personal information. There is no charge for this. But, by using the site to edit or control the information about you, you must provide personal identifying information. Whether you are comfortable with this or not is a decision you have to make.

The Public White Pages site is a public records search, not unlike many others. If your phone number was ever public, it can appear on a search. The website does not guarantee the accuracy of what appears on their site.

Thank you so much for your response! No, my phone number has never been public. I appreciate the info.

NotFunny

You have an unlisted phone number. That means the phone company does not publish your phone number. It doesn't mean anybody else can't. So where did they get it?

Regarding telemarketers; have you registered on the federal and state, if your state has one of their own, do not call list?
Yes, I am on the No Call List, and have also filed a complaint with the FCC. I do not know where they got my phone number. There is a huge list of places where they gather info listed on the publicwhitepages website. I've tried to make a point of cutting off sharing with those whom I have credit accounts, including the mortgage company. Don't know. Thank you for your insights and suggestions.

NotFunny

Quincy, were you looking at whitepages.com or publicwhitepages.com? I think these are two different sites. Can you tell me where the privacy setting is of the latter as I am unable to locate same. Thank you! :)

quincy

Quincy, were you looking at whitepages.com or publicwhitepages.com? I think these are two different sites. Can you tell me where the privacy setting is of the latter as I am unable to locate same. Thank you! :)
Um, I think I was looking at both White Pages and Public White Pages. Sorry.

It does appear that Public White Pages charges a $3.99 to $16.99 fee for removal of personal data. They state the fee is to cover the costs of identity verification.

Because the information they provide on their public records search site has been made public at some point in time, even if you pay to have your information removed from the Public White Pages site does not mean it will be removed from public access on other sites.

I hate those pay-to-remove sites.

NotFunny

Um, I think I was looking at both White Pages and Public White Pages. Sorry.

It does appear that Public White Pages charges a $3.99 to $16.99 fee for removal of personal data. They state the fee is to cover the costs of identity verification.

Because the information they provide on their public records search site has been made public at some point in time, even if you pay to have your information removed from the Public White Pages site does not mean it will be removed from public access on other sites.

I hate those pay-to-remove sites.
Thanks Quincy. I hate them too. It is slimy stuff. My neighbors appear as well. Maybe I'll just have my phone number changed.

Just Blue

Thanks Quincy. I hate them too. It is slimy stuff. My neighbors appear as well. Maybe I'll just have my phone number changed.
I have a unpublished and unlisted #. I still get bullcrap calls do to the last person who had it. Back "in the day" the phone company would wait a long period of time before reissuing a phone number. They don't do that anymore. :(

On the upside!! At least the crap call will be for another person....:p:cool:

Best of luck to you NF

Blue:)

NotFunny

Thanks Blue Meanie! Love your screen name. :) I once went to renew mom's cell phone hours and the company had already given her number to someone else! The hours had only elapsed a month or so before. I was amazed. Sorry you are having problems. I've been through that too.

quincy

I know of others who have felt the need to change phone numbers and who also now have a post office box so their addresses are not included in public searches - although this really does not work very well, as names and addresses and phone numbers are included in many various and assorted public documents.

We tend to value privacy in this country but we actually have very little of it.

What is one positive sign, perhaps, is that the White Pages are considering doing away with publishing the names, residential addresses and home phone numbers of private persons in phone books, limiting their publications to business information only. This probably has less to do with their desire to preserve our privacy and protect the environment from the phone books that wind up in landfills, and more to do with finances, but, hey, it's a start. :)

Good luck.

Just Blue

Thanks Blue Meanie! Love your screen name. :) I once went to renew mom's cell phone hours and the company had already given her number to someone else! The hours had only elapsed a month or so before. I was amazed. Sorry you are having problems. I've been through that too.
Ahh...Not a big deal. I ignore most of them and if I feel frisky say vile things so they don't call back!! :D

But tell me...Why do you love my screen name? (Most don't "get it")

Blue

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">