• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Program to boost work efficiency

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

UAMike

I work (from home) at a large corporation that deals with healthcare insurance. While working there, I started to have medical problems that impacted the amount of work I could do. Because of this, I needed to figure out a way to boost my efficiency in order to keep up with my peers. It turns out that the company installs a program called Macro Express Pro on their work computers. They use this to create small macros that help different areas of workflow. Well, I began to fiddle with the program, and over time, I wrote my own macros that significantly boosted the amount of work I can do in a day. Eventually, the company sort of caught on to the fact that my speed of work was roughly 3-4X higher than the average person. They asked me how this happens but I simply told them that I was efficient with my work. They were not very pleased with this answer and proceeded to request that my work computer be sent to them. My guess is that they checked to see if I had any programs installed on their machine. They did not find anything, however, because I wiped any part of the program that I wrote from the computer (yes, it's really gone).

I have not been in touch with the company as I have been out on medical disability. Currently, the program is non-existent... not on my own personal computer or their work computer. It exists only in my head. I am considering whether I can 'sell' them this idea in order to boost their employees' productivity. The end goal would be for them to pay me cash for the program or perhaps increase my salary. Of those two options, I would strongly prefer the former. I am also wondering if I could pitch this idea to rival companies. What type of legal issues should I be thinking about with this matter?

I greatly appreciate any insight or feedback you may provide.

quincy

I work (from home) at a large corporation that deals with healthcare insurance. While working there, I started to have medical problems that impacted the amount of work I could do. Because of this, I needed to figure out a way to boost my efficiency in order to keep up with my peers. It turns out that the company installs a program called Macro Express Pro on their work computers. They use this to create small macros that help different areas of workflow. Well, I began to fiddle with the program, and over time, I wrote my own macros that significantly boosted the amount of work I can do in a day. Eventually, the company sort of caught on to the fact that my speed of work was roughly 3-4X higher than the average person. They asked me how this happens but I simply told them that I was efficient with my work. They were not very pleased with this answer and proceeded to request that my work computer be sent to them. My guess is that they checked to see if I had any programs installed on their machine. They did not find anything, however, because I wiped any part of the program that I wrote from the computer (yes, it's really gone).

I have not been in touch with the company as I have been out on medical disability. Currently, the program is non-existent... not on my own personal computer or their work computer. It exists only in my head. I am considering whether I can 'sell' them this idea in order to boost their employees' productivity. The end goal would be for them to pay me cash for the program or perhaps increase my salary. Of those two options, I would strongly prefer the former. I am also wondering if I could pitch this idea to rival companies. What type of legal issues should I be thinking about with this matter?

I greatly appreciate any insight or feedback you may provide.
What is the name of your state, UAMike? I notice you did not mention it here or in your other thread.

single317dad

Are you under employment contract?

If so, does the contract contain an assignment of inventions?

Something like this example here:

http://www.contractstandards.com/document-checklists/inventions-assignment-agreement-analysis/assignment-of-inventions

UAMike

Ownership of Inventions

I have read the policy with regards to ' ownership of inventions' and it seems pretty clear that the company has their bases covered when it comes to IP developed pertaining to their business. Basically, everything belongs to them. I can post the actual policy (with the company name removed) but I wasn't sure if that by itself could have repercussions.

This being said, does it seem like there is any way for me to monetize this idea now? As I mentioned, no such program exists anymore, so if I couldn't license the program (the macro), then I would just keep my mouth shut about it and it's a lose-lose situation. What about becoming a consultant/contractor for this company?

quincy

I have read the policy with regards to ' ownership of inventions' and it seems pretty clear that the company has their bases covered when it comes to IP developed pertaining to their business. Basically, everything belongs to them. I can post the actual policy (with the company name removed) but I wasn't sure if that by itself could have repercussions.

This being said, does it seem like there is any way for me to monetize this idea now? As I mentioned, no such program exists anymore, so if I couldn't license the program (the macro), then I would just keep my mouth shut about it and it's a lose-lose situation. What about becoming a consultant/contractor for this company?
UAMike, there are enough gray areas here that you will probably not find a good answer to your questions on a forum. I think you need to sit down with an IP attorney for a personal review the facts of your invention and its development, your work duties with the company, and the possible claims your company could make on an invention you developed during the course of your employment on an employer-owned computer.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">