• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Redirecting Users

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

badmp3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

Is there any legal related issues to worry about if i was to redirect users who use a certain toolbars or BHOs to a page that i generated that says something like

"Your browser Toolbar(s) are not supported on this directory, turn them off by (instructions) and revisit (plugs in URL)"

Would I have issues with discrimination / blocking people from my site?
Can someone sue my site for not allowing them onto a page due to there browser toolbars ?

Thanks

FlyingRon

Nothing illegal, but you'll have to explain to me why sticking your tongue out a bunch of potential customers is some form of good business practice. What do you care if they have a certain search engine toolbar?

badmp3

Nothing illegal, but you'll have to explain to me why sticking your tongue out a bunch of potential customers is some form of good business practice. What do you care if they have a certain search engine toolbar?

Certain Toolbars are parasites in that they will take Affiliation code and swap it out with theres ..

Lets say I'm affiliated with Amazon.com...

When a user with the bad toolbar hits my site - the link to amazon will have my ID Tag - but -- the TOOLbar will detect that ID and swap it out

Basically stealing my commission --

So I'm building a script that will redirect all users that have xyz toolbars that do this thing to another page -

What do you think?

xjake88x

If anything was to be considered illegal here it would be the BHO (Browser helper object) mentioned. I don't think the law actually deems it illegal. I deal with the advertisement & affiliate industry on a daily basis, and have professional knowledge of how the industry works. I will say that this BHO is very nasty.

Affiliate web sites pay publishers to direct traffic to them. A publisher's account with the affiliate web site is identified by a certain ID in the URL, which determines who to pay.

It could be some kind of fraud or theft, because this BHO is essentially tricking these affiliate sites into paying the wrong person. Therefore they are taking away money from the intended recipient, and causing the advertiser to pay money to an unintended recipient.

Hell no what you're doing is not illegal. I think it's in fact above conventional ethics for you to sacrifice a portion of your audience to bring light to this immoral activity.

This is actually very interesting to me and I'd like to hear what comes of it. I'm interested to find out what BHO this is. It's obviously some kind of malicious spyware or adware.

For the record, to all you who aren't too familiar with what a BHO is, I'll add in that in recent years, the BHO protocol has been one of (if not the) most common manifestation of virii, adware, spyware. One very common and malicious virus used as a BHO is the vundo virus.

Last edited:

The Occultist

I take it you didnt read the post above ..

xJake wanted to know what BHO / toolbar i was talking about .. so i gave the details ..

~~
Heh I don't even remember making that post, so it's very possible that some amount of alcohol was involved in the creation thereof! :eek::eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">