• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unauthorized Wifi access (10 years ago) - NJ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zo3fol

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? [New Jersy]

Hi,

I am not American, I was visiting the USA (New Jersey) 9 or 10 years ago for tourism. unfortunately the Hotel were I was staying had intermittent wifi issues.
So I walked around carrying my laptop, and I found a wifi signal across the street from the opposite hotel. It was using the default credentials admin/admin or something similar. I did a stupid thing by using that wifi connection, I have then used the wifi for 3 days to chat back to my friends and do normal browsing, etc.

3 Days after that, a couple of USA agents appeared from a van parked close to me, told me I am under arrest for hacking the hotel system (I did a stupid thing by using their wifi, but I really did nothing more than that) and they took me to the police station (I believe they were federal agents?). One officer told me you will have a court hearing (if I remember correctly), and he told me it the court date will be a month (or so) from now, so I advice to just go back home before that. I was scared and stupid so I went back home the next week and never attended the court summon/hearing, and for sure never went back to USA.

Now (so 9 or 10 years after the incident), things changed, and I work for an international company in Europe, and I have to visit the headquarter in USA :( I am scared again, what do I need to do? I don't even remember what year the incident happened.

Where do I start, where can I find a lawyer? Will there be a search warrant? Will I be banned from entering USA?

Please help.

Thank you

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? [New Jersy]

Hi,

I am not American, I was visiting the USA (New Jersey) 9 or 10 years ago for tourism. unfortunately the Hotel were I was staying had intermittent wifi issues.
So I walked around carrying my laptop, and I found a wifi signal across the street from the opposite hotel. It was using the default credentials admin/admin or something similar. I did a stupid thing by using that wifi connection, I have then used the wifi for 3 days to chat back to my friends and do normal browsing, etc.

3 Days after that, a couple of USA agents appeared from a van parked close to me, told me I am under arrest for hacking the hotel system (I did a stupid thing by using their wifi, but I really did nothing more than that) and they took me to the police station (I believe they were federal agents?). One officer told me you will have a court hearing (if I remember correctly), and he told me it the court date will be a month (or so) from now, so I advice to just go back home before that. I was scared and stupid so I went back home the next week and never attended the court summon/hearing, and for sure never went back to USA.

Now (so 9 or 10 years after the incident), things changed, and I work for an international company in Europe, and I have to visit the headquarter in USA :( I am scared again, what do I need to do? I don't even remember what year the incident happened.

Where do I start, where can I find a lawyer? Will there be a search warrant? Will I be banned from entering USA?

Please help.

Thank you
Yes, you can run into trouble at US Customs and Immigration and/or you may be denied a passport - although it is also possible that a restricted travel document can be issued so that you can return to the US to take care of the warrant (which probably issued when you missed your court date) and so that you can take care of the outstanding charges filed against you in New Jersey.

What you might want to do before trying to get a passport is to contact the police agency that arrested you to check on the status of your warrant, or you can have an attorney in your country contact the agency for you. If there is an active warrant out for your arrest, the attorney can check to see if it can be vacated.

Here is a link to the law: http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/22/51.60

Good luck.

zo3fol

Thanks quincy.

What you might want to do before trying to get a passport is to contact the police agency that arrested you to check on the status of your warrant, or you can have an attorney in your country contact the agency for you. If there is an active warrant out for your arrest, the attorney can check to see if it can be vacated.
Do you if there's an online solicitor/lawyer in New Jersey I can contact from here from Europe? So they can check for the warrant, etc.
If you could provide a starting point for me it will be very appreciated. I'm googling for the past few hours, found some services but I'm not sure if they are scam or legit. If there's an official way I can contact an attorney. Is it possible that you share it or PM it?

quincy

Thanks quincy.

Do you if there's an online solicitor/lawyer in New Jersey I can contact from here from Europe? So they can check for the warrant, etc.
If you could provide a starting point for me it will be very appreciated. I'm googling for the past few hours, found some services but I'm not sure if they are scam or legit. If there's an official way I can contact an attorney. Is it possible that you share it or PM it?
We do not provide referrals on the forum, zo3fol. Sorry. You can contact a criminal defense attorney in your country and that attorney can contact the proper US authorities for you.

Here is an article written by the FreeAdvice staff on "Air Travel on an Outstanding Warrant" which can provide you with more information that you might find helpful: http://criminal-law.freeadvice.com/criminal-law/arrests_and_searches/Air-Travel-on-Outstanding-Warrant.htm

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">