• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What constitutes a data breach and when notifications to persons must be made

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bobspero

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I want to be sure I address this properly with my employer and my interest are protected.

We were working with a vendor that we later discovered was a family member of the high level decision maker who outsourced work to them. Besides the unethical business practice and clear violation of documented policy with regards to conflict of interest. I have documented proof that the vendor qualification was not conducted, background checks were not conducted and NDA was never in place. My guess is because of the vendor relationship there were shortcuts taken to expedite the outsourcing of work to them. Knowing the person how pushed this through the system was unethical and the relationship was father son. Remote access was granted to company data information systems, these systems for which they were granted access to maintains personal information of close to 1.1 million members with their personal information. The statement of work outlined a software solution for marketing tactics to our membership group, upwards to 1.1 million members. Flat files were given to this vendor for the development effort.

Aware of the vendor relationship I funneled all and any request for data to be exchange through the project lead who selected the vendor. Time goes by and the project lead is no longer with the organization. A recent issue came to light where the project plan was made public on a public web site that is marketing software solutions. It outlines the project plan word for word and images of proof of concept images that my organization considers confidential and sensitive. Literally to the point if I were to go ahead as an employee posted the information, I would be subject to termination for a policy violation.

In performing my investigation it is proven that the vendor was fast tracked, with no agreements, contract or nda in place. I discovered that remote access was given to the vendor to all our data systems that maintained personal information of our members. My assumption is that the person was no longer there to plug the holes and cover up the unethical practices, so when a routine audit was conducted it was proven the vendor never went through the proper processes in vendor selection and approvals because remote access privileges where removed because none of our tracking systems list the vendor as an approved vendor.

So here are my questions:

Does this constitute a data breach just based on unauthorized persons having access to our systems with personal information?
We know they are in possession of our data as portions of the project have been made publicly available on their website, word for word and with the same exact conceptual images.
Am I in anyway at risk of termination, I have all saved/printed emails expressing concerns, potential risk to the business due to vendor relationships, concerns of unethical practices, any and all data exchanges were funneled through the project lead so I was not sharing data directly to the vendor?
They have not made any members information public, but again they have proven they are in possession of company data, based on NCSL law and unauthorized access of membership data does this constitute compliance with informing all 1.1 million members that there personal information has been breached?

I'mTheFather

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I want to be sure I address this properly with my employer and my interest are protected.

We were working with a vendor that we later discovered was a family member of the high level decision maker who outsourced work to them. Besides the unethical business practice and clear violation of documented policy with regards to conflict of interest. I have documented proof that the vendor qualification was not conducted, background checks were not conducted and NDA was never in place. My guess is because of the vendor relationship there were shortcuts taken to expedite the outsourcing of work to them. Knowing the person how pushed this through the system was unethical and the relationship was father son. Remote access was granted to company data information systems, these systems for which they were granted access to maintains personal information of close to 1.1 million members with their personal information. The statement of work outlined a software solution for marketing tactics to our membership group, upwards to 1.1 million members. Flat files were given to this vendor for the development effort.

Aware of the vendor relationship I funneled all and any request for data to be exchange through the project lead who selected the vendor. Time goes by and the project lead is no longer with the organization. A recent issue came to light where the project plan was made public on a public web site that is marketing software solutions. It outlines the project plan word for word and images of proof of concept images that my organization considers confidential and sensitive. Literally to the point if I were to go ahead as an employee posted the information, I would be subject to termination for a policy violation.

In performing my investigation it is proven that the vendor was fast tracked, with no agreements, contract or nda in place. I discovered that remote access was given to the vendor to all our data systems that maintained personal information of our members. My assumption is that the person was no longer there to plug the holes and cover up the unethical practices, so when a routine audit was conducted it was proven the vendor never went through the proper processes in vendor selection and approvals because remote access privileges where removed because none of our tracking systems list the vendor as an approved vendor.

So here are my questions:

Does this constitute a data breach just based on unauthorized persons having access to our systems with personal information?
We know they are in possession of our data as portions of the project have been made publicly available on their website, word for word and with the same exact conceptual images.
Am I in anyway at risk of termination, I have all saved/printed emails expressing concerns, potential risk to the business due to vendor relationships, concerns of unethical practices, any and all data exchanges were funneled through the project lead so I was not sharing data directly to the vendor?
They have not made any members information public, but again they have proven they are in possession of company data, based on NCSL law and unauthorized access of membership data does this constitute compliance with informing all 1.1 million members that there personal information has been breached?
Answers:

No, it seems the vendor company was authorized by your company.

You may be at risk of termination. Your HR has determined nothing improper occurred, right? You're collecting information and making assumptions about why certain things happened. You may be wrong, you may be right. You may be defaming people in your organization (or those formerly employed) with your assumptions.

What part of the law do you think they violated? The vendor was contracted by your company.

If you still feel violations occurred, contact the FTC.

FlyingRon

You need to understand this: your employer doesn't need a reason to fire you. Unless you are working for the government or in certain government programs, there's no "whistleblowing" protection for you either. Unless you are in certain specific industries (like healthcare) there's no statutory requirements for data protection. There is generally even in those industries no obligation to tell anybody about potential data compromises either. When businesses do this they do it to limit their liability for things that happen later. If they say "Hey, someone stole your information," the burden starts to shift to you to set up your defenses.

This is way beyond what we can explain to you in this kind of forum (especially requiring information that YOU WOULD EQUALLY HAVE NO BUSINESS DISCLOSING TO US even in a "pseudo-anonymized way"). Your company needs legal counsel

Note everything you say here is RETAINED FOREVER. Every post along with the IP address used for it and every edit and every "deletion" (which just hides it from public view, but leaves it avaialble to the site admins) is retained.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">