• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who is liable for pirated software?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

boarslight

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

I'm sure this has been asked a dozen times...am I, as an employee, liable for using pirated software? Or is it the company's liability?

Thanks.

divgradcurl

I'm sure this has been asked a dozen times
No, I don't think it has, at least not anytime recently...

am I, as an employee, liable for using pirated software? Or is it the company's liability?
Well, if you didn't actually make the pirated copy or otherwise load the pirated copy or own the pirated copy, then it would be pretty unlikely that you would be liable for infringement -- just using the software would be akin to watching a pirated movie -- it's not a violation of copyright to watch, the violation is in the illegal "copying" or illegal "distribution" or illegal "public performance."

However, if you had anything to do with installing the software or otherwise had anything to do with reproduction or distribution of the software without a license, then you could potentially be liable.

Note that this is different than if you are infringing on a patent -- in the case of a patent, the person using the patent may be infringing, even as an employee of a company who has told that person to use the object.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">