• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Working at a company, have projects on the side, can my company claim them?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

freespirit747

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

So I'm working at a company. However, on the side I do have a lot of ideas. I am planning on programming some Apps, and the like.

In what scenario would the company I am currently working for be able to claim ownership of my ideas and work products? I do have a company laptop, are there any general guidelines / practices I should observe so as not to incur any liability on my end?

Thanks for your help!

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

So I'm working at a company. However, on the side I do have a lot of ideas. I am planning on programming some Apps, and the like.

In what scenario would the company I am currently working for be able to claim ownership of my ideas and work products? I do have a company laptop, are there any general guidelines / practices I should observe so as not to incur any liability on my end?

Thanks for your help!
Using your employer's equipment is one of the factors looked at when deciding if what is created belongs to the employer or the creator. What is on a company computer can be claimed by the company. Working on your apps on company time is another factor looked at, especially if programming is within the scope of your employment (part of your regular workplace duties).

To help ensure that your apps remain yours, you will want to work on them at home on your own time using your own personal computer - but the best way to ensure your rights in the apps remain yours will be to have what you are planning on doing reviewed by an attorney in your area, to see how what you are working on relates to what you are employed to do.

freespirit747

Ok

Thanks for reaching out! Well, I will wipe my company laptop of any data assuming it's not already backed up externally. I have no actual product on it, just discussion of ideas via Gmail. My current job (Ibanking) has nothing to do with programming apps on the side. Your advice matches with my intuition, I'll leave working on this other project to my desktop at home and avoid using company time/equipment to pursue these other ideas. Thanks!

quincy

Thanks for reaching out! Well, I will wipe my company laptop of any data assuming it's not already backed up externally. I have no actual product on it, just discussion of ideas via Gmail. My current job (Ibanking) has nothing to do with programming apps on the side. Your advice matches with my intuition, I'll leave working on this other project to my desktop at home and avoid using company time/equipment to pursue these other ideas. Thanks!
You're welcome, freespirit747.

I think you are smart to leave your app programming to the times you are at home and can use your own computer.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">