• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong Billing and Collection Agency

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

velu555

Hi,

I have been hosting my website with a hosting company. They charges are just $12 for one year. It was going fine for 3 years.

Sudenly last December, they called up and asked me to upgrade the service telling me that I have been over using the space that was provided to me.

The problem was, they have disabled my email account access for 3 months prior to that and the email box got filled with junk email and it was over the allocated disk space.

I told them that I am not going to upgrade and allow me to access the website and email, I will clean it up. But they refused. They disabled my website and email and reported a $500 unpaid bill to a collection agency.

The collection agency called me and asked me to pay the amount. I replied them in mail asking for the proof of the debt that I owe and to report that this one is a disputed debt. The collection agency just sent me some other details other than the proof of the bill and send me again with $500 bill but with increased interest added to the bill.

What is the next step I should do now? I really dont owe that money to them. They are just threating me that my credit history will be spoiled and trying to collect the money. I dont care about my credit history, but is there anyway this debt can grow to a large amount with all the interest? Is there anyway I can get out of this issue? as I said earlier, I have already disputed this debt.

Please advice. Thank you.

David

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
velu555 said:
Hi,

I have been hosting my website with a hosting company. They charges are just $12 for one year. It was going fine for 3 years.

Sudenly last December, they called up and asked me to upgrade the service telling me that I have been over using the space that was provided to me.

The problem was, they have disabled my email account access for 3 months prior to that and the email box got filled with junk email and it was over the allocated disk space.

I told them that I am not going to upgrade and allow me to access the website and email, I will clean it up. But they refused. They disabled my website and email and reported a $500 unpaid bill to a collection agency.

The collection agency called me and asked me to pay the amount. I replied them in mail asking for the proof of the debt that I owe and to report that this one is a disputed debt. The collection agency just sent me some other details other than the proof of the bill and send me again with $500 bill but with increased interest added to the bill.

What is the next step I should do now? I really dont owe that money to them. They are just threating me that my credit history will be spoiled and trying to collect the money. I dont care about my credit history, but is there anyway this debt can grow to a large amount with all the interest? Is there anyway I can get out of this issue? as I said earlier, I have already disputed this debt.

Please advice. Thank you.

David
David, how old are you?
You really need to care about your credit history. Without a good credit history you may end up paying a great deal more for a very long time. Yes the debt can grow to a large amount depending on how long it is unpaid. How did you write them? Return receipt requested? Certified?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">