• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

6d Question - PLEASE HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

danakar

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts.

What is the law regarding signing a 6d for a trustee that's selling their property even though the association has outstanding bills.

Basically what the situation is is that my neighbor is selling. He needs us to sign the 6d in order to say he’s paid up all his condo fees through the end of June. The problem is is that we have three outstanding bills that we’ve been paying off through our condo fees. Two of these items arose above and beyond our normal budget (boiler broke, had lots of external lighting installed)... One of my other neighbors is concerned that by signing the 6d, the new owners could say that they are not responsible for payment of these bills. It’s a long and convoluted story... I feel that one thing (signing the 6d) has nothing to do with the other. By signing the 6d, we are simply stating that he’s paid his condo fees... It has nothing to do with outstanding bills. We did not make any special assessments for these new expenses (in hindsight, maybe we should have). But I don’t think the new owners would have any say in paying off these bills.

pojo2

the new owners could say that they are not responsible for payment of these bills.

I am not sure what was done and how the assessements were addressed but if it is disclosed to the potential buyer that there are special assessments that pass to the new owner then they can't say they did not know etc. Going soley on how a HOA can pass on the asessments with payments remaining it is made a permanent part of the contracts. So to sign off make sure this information is included in the sellers contracts.

Perhaps someone else will come along to help you out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">