• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abandoned Property and HOA's

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mdrich

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tn
We have an abandoned house full of trash waist high next door to me. The homeowner does nothing , not even mow the yard. We have notified every agency and our HOA to no avail. If the homeowner will not clean it up is the HOA responsible and how do I make them clean it up?

NC Aggie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tn
We have an abandoned house full of trash waist high next door to me. The homeowner does nothing , not even mow the yard. We have notified every agency and our HOA to no avail. If the homeowner will not clean it up is the HOA responsible and how do I make them clean it up?
Well if NOBODY is taking action then there must be a reason they are not. What exactly is this "trash" and is it INSIDE the house or OUTSIDE the house. If you went through your local municipality, they typically will send the owner a NOV (notice of violation), if the owner doesn't correct the violation or response the NOV is followed by a fine and possibly the city/town will do the clean up and send the owner the bill and fine. However, if this is trash inside the house and their grass is only the problem outside the house then there might not be a violation until the grass reaches a certain height.

mdrich

Well if NOBODY is taking action then there must be a reason they are not. What exactly is this "trash" and is it INSIDE the house or OUTSIDE the house. If you went through your local municipality, they typically will send the owner a NOV (notice of violation), if the owner doesn't correct the violation or response the NOV is followed by a fine and possibly the city/town will do the clean up and send the owner the bill and fine. However, if this is trash inside the house and their grass is only the problem outside the house then there might not be a violation until the grass reaches a certain height.
Thanks for your reply. The trash in question is located inside. What I have failed to mention is the fact that their doors have been left open and god what kind of rodents have entered. Is it considered a health hazard ? The grass and weeds grow as tall as our fence which is 8' tall in the back. The neighbors or myself usually mow the front. Is the HOA not responsible for enforcing our rules on this?

NC Aggie

Also done. Apparently they do not care so long as he continues to pay his loan.
Unfortunately, matters of this nature typically have to be considered egregious by the City before the City will get involved and unfortunately, issues that are "out of sight" are considered lower priority issues. I definitely understand your concern but I'm not certain a whole lot more can be done if you haven't had any luck thus far. Definitely think something out to be done with the vegetation if it's as bad as you described but you mentioned that you and your neighbor have cut the grass on occasions?

If you actually start seeing an issue with rodents and if you can document this then you may be able to get one of your local agencies to do something about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">