• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Approved Budget Ignored

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WindyCityWoman

What is the name of your state? Illinois

Our 2005 approved budget included funds to have the drain pipes cleaned, which has been done on an annual basis, as instructed by previous management and plumping companies. When this was not done for about three years, a couple units on the second floor experienced backup into
units (sinks and showers); one person's carpet was soiled (and was cleaned by two board members at that time). In spring 2005, A new president came on the Board, along with a new owner. The president refuses to have the drain pipes cleaned in this calendar year (although it was in the August meeting minutes that it would be done before year end 2005). The president claims that it is an unnecessary expense costing $3,000 (the actual cost is about $1,800). The proposed 2006 budget does not have a line item for this procedure and it will likely be approved by the board soon. We no longer have full service management to consult regarding these matters. Here's the question: If a budget has been approved, isn't there a legal obligation on the part of the current board members to carry out the procedures that have been planned and approved the year before? I believe that not doing this poses a health/safety risk to owners, not to mention possible damage to their units. I appreciate any advice you can give concerning this matter.

You Are Guilty

WindyCityWoman said:
If a budget has been approved, isn't there a legal obligation on the part of the current board members to carry out the procedures that have been planned and approved the year before?
Not even remotely. (And cleaning out the gutters just before winter does seem like a waste of money).

WindyCityWoman

Response is Unclear

Unfortunately, the response from "You are Guilty" is not clear or helpful. I look forward to and appreciate some clearly written advice.

You Are Guilty

WindyCityWoman said:
Unfortunately, the response from "You are Guilty" is not clear or helpful. I look forward to and appreciate some clearly written advice.
LOL

You got it, babycakes! Let's just sit here and wait for the clearly written "No's" to come rolling in. :cool:

WindyCityWoman

Go Away Please

Whoever you are, "you are guilty," you make absolutely no sense. I have no idea what you are talking about, so please do not make any further comments to my post. Thank you.

You Are Guilty

WindyCityWoman said:
Whoever you are, "you are guilty," you make absolutely no sense. I have no idea what you are talking about, so please do not make any further comments to my post. Thank you.
I'm sorry, your reply makes no sense. Please refrain from replying to my replies.

WindyCityWoman

Clearly Restated Questions

To: Home Guru
Let me get your "clearly written NO" straight. You are saying that: (1) The condo board can disregard a procedure that has been put into the budget and approved without a vote from the board (or the owners) Correct? (2) And if damage occurs, the owner who sustains that damage is out of luck. Correct? I appreciate your thoughts...or if anyone else has knowledge/background concerning this topic.

WindyCityWoman

How Unfortunate

I've worked with lawyers most of my life who were able to discuss matters politely and in clear and comprehensive ways, which leads me to suspect that the responses here have not been from lawyers after all.

You Are Guilty

WindyCityWoman said:
I've worked with lawyers most of my life who were able to discuss matters politely and in clear and comprehensive ways, which leads me to suspect that the responses here have not been from lawyers after all.
Oh crap, HG, she blew our cover! Quick, RUN AWAY!

PS: Enjoy paying for a "real lawyer" to give you the answers you want to hear. Perhaps one of the many with whom you worked most your life would be willing to listen to your blather for a few hundred an hour. Good luck, fruitcake!

HomeGuru

You Are Guilty said:
Oh crap, HG, she blew our cover! Quick, RUN AWAY!

PS: Enjoy paying for a "real lawyer" to give you the answers you want to hear. Perhaps one of the many with whom you worked most your life would be willing to listen to your blather for a few hundred an hour. Good luck, fruitcake!

**A: Hmmmm, I need to look at my JD degree paper framed on my office wall.
Maybe the signatures are forged. hahaha....

You Are Guilty

HomeGuru said:
**A: Hmmmm, I need to look at my JD degree paper framed on my office wall.
Maybe the signatures are forged. hahaha....
Well at least you have one. The Board approved the framing for mine and added the item to their budget, but then decided not to do it and spend the money on booze and hookers instead. So now I just have a framed copy of the landmark case of "Spy vs. Spy" instead. Come to think of it, can the Board legally do that? What if my wall gets damaged because there's no framed JD certificate to protect it? Can I get punitives? What about an IIED claim?

HomeGuru

You Are Guilty said:
Well at least you have one. The Board approved the framing for mine and added the item to their budget, but then decided not to do it and spend the money on booze and hookers instead. So now I just have a framed copy of the landmark case of "Spy vs. Spy" instead. Come to think of it, can the Board legally do that? What if my wall gets damaged because there's no framed JD certificate to protect it? Can I get punitives? What about an IIED claim?

**A: ask Alfred E. Neuman.

You Are Guilty

HomeGuru said:
**A: ask Alfred E. Neuman.
OK, I emailed him and he responded with, "What, me worry?" What the hell is that supposed to mean? If I wanted a Magic 8-Ball answer, I would have asked mine!

My friend Bobby McFerrin says "don't worry" also, but I'm not sure if he knows what he's talking about. :(

HomeGuru

You Are Guilty said:
OK, I emailed him and he responded with, "What, me worry?" What the hell is that supposed to mean? If I wanted a Magic 8-Ball answer, I would have asked mine!

My friend Bobby McFerrin says "don't worry" also, but I'm not sure if he knows what he's talking about. :(

**A: I emailed Bobby M. and he responded back with his sequel: "Don't worry, Life's Crappy"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">