• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Association fines to multiple units

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

susancruise

What is the name of your state?Illinois

Our association must be in desperate need for additional funding. I have received two fines in one week. The last one I consider unfair, and probably not legal. One of their inspections noted a box of garbage at the curb of our 4-unit building outside of the permitted hours for leaving garbage out. They say that since they do not know which resident placed the box outside, each and all of us will be charged a $50 fine. Can an association fine a unit owner if there is no certainty it was them who broke the rules? Can a fine for breaking one provision be charged to several units? Can they make me pay this?

HomeGuru

susancruise said:
What is the name of your state?Illinois

Our association must be in desperate need for additional funding. I have received two fines in one week. The last one I consider unfair, and probably not legal. One of their inspections noted a box of garbage at the curb of our 4-unit building outside of the permitted hours for leaving garbage out. They say that since they do not know which resident placed the box outside, each and all of us will be charged a $50 fine. Can an association fine a unit owner if there is no certainty it was them who broke the rules? Can a fine for breaking one provision be charged to several units? Can they make me pay this?
**A: possibly, but a better way to raise funds is to just do a special assessment say $2500/unit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">