• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Balcony Decoration Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nk12

What is the name of your state? California

We recently put up some decorative curtains on our condo's balcony. The curtains remain open and tied up, they hide the hideous looking pilars and add a nice touch to the balcony. They are only slightly visible from the outside. Our HOA sent us a letter stating that we have "altered the structure of the building" and we must take them down. Are curtains, wall hangings and hanging plants considered altering the structure? We thought about placing some plants on the railing as other condo owners have but have now thought twice about it. I can see if the curtains were closed, but what is the difference between this and privacy/sun shades that some people have?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Nk12 said:
What is the name of your state? California

We recently put up some decorative curtains on our condo's balcony. The curtains remain open and tied up, they hide the hideous looking pilars and add a nice touch to the balcony. They are only slightly visible from the outside. Our HOA sent us a letter stating that we have "altered the structure of the building" and we must take them down. Are curtains, wall hangings and hanging plants considered altering the structure? We thought about placing some plants on the railing as other condo owners have but have now thought twice about it. I can see if the curtains were closed, but what is the difference between this and privacy/sun shades that some people have?

My response:

Gee, that sure sounds like a good question for your HOA!!

IAAL

Like my good buddy BelizeBreeze says, I also don't do handouts . . . So this one's for you . . .

..................../´¯/)
..................,/¯../
................./..../
.........../´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
......../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
......('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.......\.................'...../
........''...\.......... _.·´
..........\..............(
............\.............\

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">