• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The bill that'll never be paid off - how genius!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeffincentre

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I really need help with this. Because of a job loss which ultimately led to chapter 7 bankruptcy, I got behind on my condo fee payments. Luckily, this allowed me to send around $500 twice a month since entering into an agreement with the association's attorney - going on about a year.

However, I have never received an itemized statement showing where my money is going and the balance is always larger than I think it should be when I ask for a statement and they only send me payoff letters with an amount due and no itemizing.

I had my bill down to about 900.00 but wasn't able to pay that and the next month's bill to be at zero. I did finish paying the 900.00 and asked for a new balance. It is about 2 months later and the bill is about 2000.00 and once again they don't disclose attorney fees, interest or anything. And according to my calculations, I paid off more than the outstanding balance and this nightmare should have been over already.

Im going to their office next week to try and straigten this out. If they don't have an explanation, what are my choices? Can I sue the law firm for fraud, go to civil court to demand itemizing, or even start putting my $500 payments into and escrow account and seek counsel?

By the way, the association has in the docs that they only go through mediation which I heard is expensive but like I said, I believe I am getting taken by this law offices. What can I do - I really need an answer!

Due through March 31st - 950.00
Pyaments 1000.00 = -50.00 (credit)

Condo fees for April - 400.00
Condo fees for May - 400.00
Condo fees for June - 400.00
Approximate due through June - 1150.00

Letter from lawyer
for amount due through June - 1950.00

Is $800 resasonalbe fees for depositing three checks?

pojo2

How are fees to collect condo fees addressed in your 'docs'?

Why do you not have an itemized list along with the checks that correspond to each payment so you can present copies and ask them to show you where YOUR acccounting is incorrect and if not then to explain why they think you owe more?

Of course the unknown is what they are allowed to charge to collect the fees.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">