• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Board member gone rogue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

socalbdmbr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I live in a relatively new community. The first homeowners' association elections are in a few weeks. I need your help to get this association started off right.

I have learned that one of the homeowner members of the board (appointed to the board by the builder) is in the middle of a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy filing and while this person was a member of the board, contracted directly with an unlicensed, unbonded family member to do electrical work in excess of $10,000.00 in the complex.

This appointed board member is aggressively campaigning to be elected to the board in its first election.

Should I make it known to the other members of the association the bankruptcy (a matter of public record) and the nepotism displayed by this individual in awarding contracts?

tranquility

Anytime you talk about another, you risk a defamation or invasion of privacy lawsuit. What is the risk here? I think it unlikely either type of suit would be successful in the first place and don't see a lot of damages making it unlikely in the second, but defending a lawsuit can be expensive so you have to judge for yourself.

FarmerJ

Your only concern that can be safely discussed is the electrical work and making sure who ever does it is a licensed electrician. The other persons BK is not a topic for discussion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">