• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Board refuses to pay for damage to unit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abutterfly

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

Water Damage to my unit by failed outside mortar. Association admits to responsibility. I repaired the damage, passed Association inspection, submitted an invoice for the mutually agreed upon amount.

Board is saying I have to submit "receipts" to get paid...it was a time & materials bid...contractors do not have to submit "receipts" to get paid. In addition I do not have receipts as I had the materials on hand.

There is no written policy stating this requirement (I have requested it & been told there isn't one).

I feel this is retailiation by the board because I am have been outspoken...I just want my money...it is now 2 years...

Please help!!!

You Are Guilty

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

Water Damage to my unit by failed outside mortar. Association admits to responsibility. I repaired the damage, passed Association inspection, submitted an invoice for the mutually agreed upon amount.

Board is saying I have to submit "receipts" to get paid...it was a time & materials bid...contractors do not have to submit "receipts" to get paid. In addition I do not have receipts as I had the materials on hand.

There is no written policy stating this requirement (I have requested it & been told there isn't one).

I feel this is retailiation by the board because I am have been outspoken...I just want my money...it is now 2 years...

Please help!!!
Receipts from who, your contractor? The Board isn't really overstepping its boundaries here - they have an obligation to ensure you are only repaid for the work performed, and no more. If you cannot document the money you spent on repairs, they are not going to just take your word for how much it cost.

Is there any other written documentation you can get your hands on which would support your numbers? Credit card statements, ATM receipts, etc?

nextwife

Why can't your contractors document what they did, what they charged, and materials supplied by you were used?

newhandle

The board must have receipts. Otherwise they could be charged with spending money without documentation which would be a violation of their fiduciary responsibility. It is also for the homeowner's protection.

You always have the option of going to court. A judge normally wants to see the receipts.

NC Aggie

I'm in agreement with the other respondents here, I don't believe it's unreasonable for the Board to ask you to provide a receipt. If you performed the repair yourself (which sounds like the case) then you probably should have obtained approval or verified that they would reimburse you for your personal time and materials prior to doing the work.

xylene

Disagree with the other posters here.

If you can't itemize the cost that doesn't mean you get nothing.

Even if you have no proof (and your invoice is proof) of the cost of the work you are entitled to quantum meruit

You already have their agreement to pay. This issue is about 'receipts' doesn't mean they owe you nothing.

Take em to court. Soon. 2 years. Yikes!

NC Aggie

Disagree with the other posters here.

If you can't itemize the cost that doesn't mean you get nothing.

Even if you have no proof (and your invoice is proof) of the cost of the work you are entitled to quantum meruit

You already have their agreement to pay. This issue is about 'receipts' doesn't mean they owe you nothing.

Take em to court. Soon. 2 years. Yikes!
I don't disagree with your point either, I just think that if the O.P. elected to do repair himself/herself then he/she should have gotten approval to go this route prior to commencing the repairs. While the principle of quantum meruit is legal and just, there is also a principle of unjust enrichment that parties have to be mindful of as well and is the reason why receipts or sufficient evidence of costs associated with repairs was requested to begin with.

xylene

I don't disagree with your point either, I just think that if the O.P. elected to do repair himself/herself then he/she should have gotten approval to go this route prior to commencing the repairs. While the principle of quantum meruit is legal and just, there is also a principle of unjust enrichment that parties have to be mindful of as well and is the reason why receipts or sufficient evidence of costs associated with repairs was requested to begin with.
That is fair.

However that would not result in a judge finding a zero verdict for the OP for verified and acceptable repairs to an outer condo wall.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">