• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are builders required to cooperate with Comcast / Verizon?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

paul717

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

We're two weeks away from a settlement on a new condo. The condo is still under construction, with just minor cosmetic work remaining. We've been working with Comcast and Verizon to get service established, but both are reporting that the building was improperly constructed. Specifically (according to both carriers), there are no conduits from the carriers' street lines into each unit. Instead, there appears to be coaxial cable running to one end unit in the building. Both carriers state that this is insufficient, because they can not punch through interior walls to run service.

The builder reports that the building is constructed just fine and that both carriers are perfectly capable of providing service.

In comparing our building against other buildings with identical floorplans that are still under construction, I see an obvious visual difference. Other buildings have a series of conduits (one for each unit) terminating outside, while ours does not. So on the surface, it would appear that the carriers are correct. Both carriers report that this issue has come up with several (but not all) other buildings in the development, and in each case, the HOA refused to allow them to make the necessary changes to the exterior.

First question: Is the builder under any obligation to work with Comcast and/or Verizon to resolve this issue? If it makes a difference, both carriers have informed me that we are not even able to obtain basic phone service at the address.

Second question: Settlement is still several weeks away. Both the sales agent and the builder made verbal statements that Verizon and Comcast were both available. Should we refrain from settling until this issue is resolved?

FarmerJ

Paul seriously Id suggest speaking to a real estate atty after getting a bit of info from the providers, ask them for supporting statutes re customer choices and hoa / landlords who block reasonable installs when there is no other way like say with older buildings , I say to explore that because even if the building did not have the proper set up to allow easy communication utility connections I dont think they can block the installs so ask them for help from their legal units and then have a atty go after the HOA. ( some one was being super cheap when they took the short cuts that they did on this so I cant help but wonder if they took lots other short cuts on the units)

festival

The builder had to create a Declaration and have it recorded. The Declaration usually has both a written description of the buildings and drawings attached. You can get a copy from the county recorder, or possibly ask the builder for an exact copy if you trust them. (You may already have a copy.) If the conduits are in the Declaration, then you are entitled to them. If not, then you may have to fight for them.

Do you have a contract to buy, and can you refrain from settling without penalty?

What was the solution at the other buildings that have no conduit?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">