• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Buyer Rejected - For wanting to live with cousin

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

typicalme

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois.

My mom just had a buyer rejected by the condo board. The bylaws state that you can't rent out your unit, that the max capacity is 4 adults and has to be 'family.'

Our buyer is a young girl who was planning on living in the unit with her cousin and the cousin's husband. She was rejected. (We were aware of the cousin, but not the cousin's husband).
There are boyfriends and girlfriends living together, as well as 2 men on the 2nd floor (don't know if they're partners or just roommates).
Is there any action that can be taken? Is cousin not considered family? How much authority does an HOA have?

In addition, my mom has a 2 bedroom unit where she has put a wall up in what was the dining area to make it a 3 bedroom unit. The HOA told the buyer point blank that my mom is a liar and has a 2 bedroom unit. As an aside, this HOA has had a few issues with my mom already, basically, she's on their radar and I personally feel that that is what the real issue is....
any advice would be appreciated...

You Are Guilty

If it is truly a condo, the HOA cannot stop a sale unless it has a right of first refusal. And in that case, all they can do is purchase the unit themselves under the same terms as the sale to the private buyer.

Sounds like they might be overstepping here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">