• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can an HOA charge us for satellite dish removal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cwange

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

My wife bought a townhome (with a condo HOA) in 2007. There has been a recent change in the association company. She has never had a satellite dish installed, and neither have either of the two tenants we've had. We were asked over the summer by the previous company to remove the dish to which she said the dish was not ours. The rep said she would relay the message to the board, and so we thought the matter was finished. A couple months ago we received another letter, this time from the new company, about removing the dish. My wife did not respond because it was a generic form letter, and she thought our involvement had been resolved. The HOA proceeded to remove the dish and sent us a bill for it. We petitioned to have the charge removed, and it was denied. They claimed that since it was over our unit it is our responsibility (even though we do not own the roof). They cannot prove that it was actually wired to our unit so I don't think we should be responsible for the fees. Do I have any legal backing to my stance? Does the HOA not have the burden to show which unit it was actually connected to?

Thanks,
Chris

STEPHAN

How do you know that the dish was not there before you bought it? You would have bought the problem and would indeed be responsible for it.

This could have easily been sorted out; I don't understand why you let it go so far.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">