• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ceiling Damage from Upstairs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TediBehr

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I bought a condo in January. I am on the bottom floor. There is one guy above me. Over the last few months there have been several leaks coming through my ceiling from his place. I now have FIVE different places in my ceiling that are damaged or completely destroyed. One area is so bad that mold is starting to grow up there and one place (just above the bathtub) has a hole all the way through now. The guy upstairs has (he says) fixed one of the problems caused by a leak in his air conditioner, but he is refusing to take responsibility to fix my ceiling. I believe the leak in the bathroom is a separate problem through the hole you can see up to his bathtub where you can very clearly see water dripping down from it. His response is "there is no leak coming from my bathroom" and he refuses to do anything about it. I can't get anyone to do an work in my place as they insist the work must be done in HIS place in order to get the dripping to stop. Every day the damage to my ceiling is getting worse.

What are my options??? How can I get him to fix the problem before even more damage is done? How can I ensure that he will be made to pay for these damages?

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated!!!

FarmerJ

Ted start with taking pictures of the damage and get them dated by the proccessor and have no more oral communications with the guy upstairs , use only certified mail and keep copys of the letters . and include sending notices to your board . YOU may have no choice and have to either submit a claim with your Insurance company OR go see a real estate atty who can review all your docs to make sure that you have followed procedures for notices and complaints and advise you of what your legal options are . Try the simple thing first of sending written complaints and if they get no action then you will at least be able to show your atty that you did try to get this resolved first . Some times people will take more action once they get a letter from a atty explaining what legal actions they risk and make the wise choice to take action before it comes to that .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">