• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Charges from Co-op maintenance company 10 years ago

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1community

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I received a letter from a maintenance company of a Co-op building that I previously lived in NYC from 203 to Oct 2008. The letter demanded me to pay for charges on Nov 2005 and May 2008. I was paying my maintenance charges religiously back then. I did not receive any letter or questions from co-op when I sold my apartment in 2008. What do I do? Do I have to pay for charges that was unknown to me? I feel being cheated. If there were charges, I should be notified back then and not now.
Thanks.

You Are Guilty

You can call them to try to clear up the mistake, or you can ignore it. Only you can decide which tact is best for you.

With that in mind, the statute of limitations on a written contract (your proprietary lease) is six years in NY.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">