• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cindy shareholder

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cindy spira

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York. I was issued a fine back in 2007 for parking my vehicle for more than the alotted 2 day time period. In one week they fined me twice a total of $150. I requested a meeting with the board to dispute the fine which took them 4 months to agree to the meeting. During that 4 month period I was being charge $25 each month as a late charge to my maint. bal. The board decided to remove $100 of the fine...and would not remove the late charges incurred. So I then had a $150 bal owed. That became my new fight. I requested time after time a meeting with the board (letters to prove so) I have made numerous phone calls requesting such. Last month I infromed the board that after 4 years the maint co. has had my account turned over to an attorney. That amount now over $2,800.00 with attorney fees. Some board members claimed to have no idea that this had gone to an attorney and said they would meet with me regarding the issue. The maint. co said they would speak to the board and I would be told of a date to meet with them. This happened the begining of October of this year. Yesterday I came home to find three documents taped to my front door with a court date and notice to forclose on my unit. First...from a legal stand point when boards issue fines can they rely upon a neighbor to report it or is it their responsibility ONLY to determine if a shareholder has broken rule? Second...When a fine is issued is it not the legal responsibility to provide the shareholder the opportunity to dispute the fine if the shareholder has requested such? The board and the maintanace co. ignored all requests and had the account turned over to an attorney 4 years after the fine was issued. I have continued to pay my maint. every month on time minus the late charge from the fine in 2007 so you can imagine the amount that has accumulated. Oh and did I mention...the reason for me fighting the fine in the first place was because two of the board members where violating the exact same rule and have continued todo so to this very day ....The president of the board has not moved her vehicle for over two weeks. I rec. the court docs. on 11-22 and the court date is 12-1. I would like to ask the judge for a postponement if I have a case. I need to know if I do. and against who. Thank you for any advice.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

You Are Guilty

Sounds like you're going to need a lawyer, or else risk losing your unit. If the Board is filing suit to foreclose on your shares, and you do not properly defend yourself pursuant to court rules, the Board is going to sell your apartment out from under you. As far as the fines go, what, if anything, does your proprietary lease and/or house rules have to say about fines, proof, notice and meetings with the Board?

(And all this over $150? Hope it was worth it).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">