• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are co-op move-in fees refundable if Board rejects applicant?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dean1950

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

For my co-op application, I have to include a check for a $500 non-refundable move-in fee plus a $500 refundable move-in fee (refundable after super confirms no damage done after move-in). However, I don't see anything in the application that states whether or not these fees are returned to me if the co-op Board ultimately rejects me. The application will not be be processed without these fees included so I have to pay them upfront. I would think this $1,000 would be returned to me since I would never actually move in if rejected, but I don't want to assume anything.

Thank you.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

For my co-op application, I have to include a check for a $500 non-refundable move-in fee plus a $500 refundable move-in fee (refundable after super confirms no damage done after move-in). However, I don't see anything in the application that states whether or not these fees are returned to me if the co-op Board ultimately rejects me. The application will not be be processed without these fees included so I have to pay them upfront. I would think this $1,000 would be returned to me since I would never actually move in if rejected, but I don't want to assume anything.

Thank you.
Read the application carefully and if reading it doesn't answer your question, then specifically ask the management. If they say its refundable if the board rejects you, then ask them to put it in writing. If they will not. Do not apply and look elsewhere for housing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">