• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CO-Op Purchase/roomate buy-out problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quandry

What is the name of your state? Washington DC

This may be a doozy.
My friends apartment building is turning over into a co-op. She was on the board and helped this happen, and the options were to take a buyout or buy into the complex, she wants to buy. It is a 2-bedroom unit and the two names on the lease at the necessary time were her and an old roommate who had since moved back to her native country. When the purchase documents were signed, she was unavaillable to sign purchase consent so her name was forged (ouch). Since then, one of the roommates is demanding compensation to move out (though she was moving back to her native country too and has no valid legal claim I wouldnt think), and is threatening all sorts of actions unless she is paid off. Of course, she is friends with roomate "A" in country X and knows about the forged document.
So the question is, how much damage was done by signing roomate "A"'s name on the purchase consent form?
As it stands, the two names elegible for buyout are my friend and "A", but foreigner "B" is the one pushing for all of this, being extremely manupulative along the way..
Thanks for anything you got.

Last edited:

pojo2

So the question is, how much damage was done by signing roomate "A"'s name on the purchase consent form?

Let's see, oh yeah, forgery is a cirme! She is being blackmailed now so I suppose she will ultimately decide her own damages in the amount she decides to give her blackmailer.

quandry

pojo2 said:

Let's see, oh yeah, forgery is a cirme! She is being blackmailed now so I suppose she will ultimately decide her own damages in the amount she decides to give her blackmailer.

useless. thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">