• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

co-op sublet rules

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jipp

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Hi,
I am a shareholder in a coop in NY. I have recently rented my apartment asking for permission for 1 year extendable to 2.
4 homeowners did the same in a building with 16 apartments and recently a 5th came forward.

the board feels that no more than 25% of the building should be rented since financing/refinancing procedures may become difficult so we are at a point where someone has either to sell or have his/her apartment empty.

so who has to sell? are there any State rules?

In writing (meeting minutes) it is established that it is on a first come first served basis that rentals are established.

so... do the 2yr extensions count on date of first approval or since approval for extension is required after a year do we start from zero?

there is another homeowner that has 2 apts - one on the first and another on the 4th floor. since connection is not possible can it be considered speculation? does the owner loose priority?

is this a decision exclusive to the board (no rule) and with no legal appeal? May they just choose the tenants or owners they like best?

jipp

This is going to be up to the interests and fair mindedness of board members. critical.

thank you for your reply.

jipp

Does anybody have a different view?
should speculation by one of the owners play a role and help prioritize the case?
do 2ys extensions have priority over new requests?

thank you

You Are Guilty

I guess I could have been clearer. That is all up to the Board's discretion - providing they do not exercise it discriminatorily, or beyond its powers as enumerated in the Proprietary Lease and/or House Rules and/or By-Laws.

(In other words, they can pretty much do it any way they want to, as long as the reason isn't something like race, religion, gender, etc.)

HomeGuru

Does anybody have a different view?
should speculation by one of the owners play a role and help prioritize the case?
do 2ys extensions have priority over new requests?

thank you
**A: no, I don't have a different view.
signed,

Anybody

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">