• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Co op water damage from above

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CaroleeM

What is the name of your state?Florida
The ballcock in the toilet of the unit 2 floors above us broke. The owner was not yet back for the season, and had not turned his water off.
Oue unit received the most damage,
Our insurance company says there is a law in Florida(we are new to the state so dont know) called seperation of resposibility that states the association is responsible for anything from the wall in, which means all the painting.
The President of the assoc says that is not true.
Can anyone offer me some direction?
Also, my deductable is $1000.Is that in any way the respon. of the 3rd floor owner?
I might be less upset but I have $20,000 in damage and the 3rd floor owner didnt even bother to come down and speak to us when he flew in.I have been told "he is a lawyer and will probably refuse to even address the issue"

seniorjudge

CaroleeM said:
What is the name of your state?Florida
The ballcock in the toilet of the unit 2 floors above us broke. The owner was not yet back for the season, and had not turned his water off.
Oue unit received the most damage,
Our insurance company says there is a law in Florida(we are new to the state so dont know) called seperation of resposibility that states the association is responsible for anything from the wall in, which means all the painting.
The President of the assoc says that is not true.
Can anyone offer me some direction?
Also, my deductable is $1000.Is that in any way the respon. of the 3rd floor owner?
I might be less upset but I have $20,000 in damage and the 3rd floor owner didnt even bother to come down and speak to us when he flew in.I have been told "he is a lawyer and will probably refuse to even address the issue"
What do the CCRs state concerning this situation?

CaroleeM

Water from above

The CCR s are from 1967 and say the owner is respon for anything from the walls in, but the ins company says that is not so....AHHh!!

seniorjudge

CaroleeM said:
The CCR s are from 1967 and say the owner is respon for anything from the walls in, but the ins company says that is not so....AHHh!!
Ask the company for written documentation/legal cite/whatever to back them up.

HomeGuru

seniorjudge said:
Ask the company for written documentation/legal cite/whatever to back them up.

**A: and ask your insurance carrier for help. Yoi may need to due the HOA and the unit owner.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">