• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

common area construction - w/o permission

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jwilliamss

I live in Massachusetts.

Recently one of the condo owners is renovating their unit. In doing so they have replaced some of their windows with bay windows which alters the look of the whole building. There was not any discussion with other owners before doing so. Also, this owner is doing other renovations in the common areas without any consent of the other owners. What type of actions should myself and the other owner take? There are only three units in our association.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
jwilliamss said:
I live in Massachusetts.

Recently one of the condo owners is renovating their unit. In doing so they have replaced some of their windows with bay windows which alters the look of the whole building. There was not any discussion with other owners before doing so. Also, this owner is doing other renovations in the common areas without any consent of the other owners. What type of actions should myself and the other owner take? There are only three units in our association.
What do the CC&Rs say you can do? You may have no recourse or you may have a ton. It depends on what your association bylaws and CC&Rs require and allow.

jwilliamss

It does state that any changes or construction to the common areas and extrerior must be approved by a majority of the owners. But I cannot tell if there is any type of recourse we can take if these changes are done without consent.

HomeGuru

jwilliamss said:
It does state that any changes or construction to the common areas and extrerior must be approved by a majority of the owners. But I cannot tell if there is any type of recourse we can take if these changes are done without consent.

**A: of course you have recourse. You and the HOA have a right to sue for compliance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">