• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Condo Assessment for Bills Already Paid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ecs

NJ My condo assn just now made a special assessment for their lawyer's legal fees covering several months last year. They represented those bills as being unpaid. I discovered in the financial records that those bills were paid by the Association months ago. I have told them I know the bills were paid and there is now no reason to collect this money for this purpose.

The Assn. lawyer is silent on this, but is threatening fines, collection action etc. if I don't pay. This seems unethical, fraudulent and feels like extortion. I have the proof that these bills were paid.

It seems like this assessment is just an excuse to build up the "coffers".

I talked to one lawyer who didn't want to deal with it.

How should I proceed? If I just pay it this kind of "extortion" can go on forever. Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">