• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Condo association

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

qubits

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Virginia

I own a townhouse and our Condo board is a pain in the neck. I'm trying to take the wall out between the small kitchen and the dining room and they will only allow me to make a "hole", ala window in the middle just like one of my neighbors. And the reason is it's an important structure wall.

Well, there is absolutely nothing between the upstairs joists and the wall (therefore it's not structurely important at all). I guess there's really nothing I can do even if they're wrong. A lawsuit will cost too much money and takes forever.

Ok, and now they won't even let me change the location of the stove/oven. And don't even think about modifying the plumbing so I can move around the sink.

Do they really have the right to say where my stove can go?

As far as the wall, I think I'll probably just take it out and built it back when it's time to sell (they inspect before any sale). Oh, And reroute the plumbing in the kitchen.

seniorjudge

Run for the board. Political power is great.

There are about 6,290,581 posts similar to yours here.

That is why I will never buy real estate that even smells like it has an association.

qubits

running for board

Yes, I'm actually seriously thinking about running for the board. I went to a meeting and everyone looks like an amateur with absolutely no knowledge about construction (except the guy who's the manager of the management company).

Also, the exterior looks very old and needs serious updating. I bet new windows and doors alone will increase the price of each unit by $50k - $100k. And I have connections to get large quantities of surplus windows and doors.
:mad:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">