• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Condo Association against the wall

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hktor

What is the name of your state? Florida
We have a small 16 unit condo & of late we had a new owner buy one of the units to use as rental property(which it was prior to the sale). In our bylaws we have 30 days to approve or disaprove a prospective tenant.
Because we are small our board does it's best to accomidate prior to the 30 days, but this new owner submitted a half filled application leaving out information needed to do a background check of the the prospective tenant. We approached him & when he had time a week later we received more information, just enough to do a partial BG check. This tenant is from California, living in Florida for the past 3 years
In the meantime I come home one night & see the tenant moving in some of his personal stuff prior to the approval. I approached him he became upset stating he paid the owner took his deposit & rent & needed to move in right away. I gently told him this was between the owner & him, we are here only to do what we are supposed to do.
I contacted the owner, all he was concerned was his investment & the fact that he had to start pulling in money. I told him we needed a copy of the tenant's driver's license because on the application some of the information was illegable. He said he would fax a copy that day. Never happened. Last night the tenant was moving in more stuff.
Bottom line are we stuck with this tenant before we can finish a background check & do we have legal recourse not to allow common area access until the BG check is complete, such as parking, use of all common areas or are we oversteping our legal rights? Can we call the police & or have his car towed from posted parking areas.
We are not hard to work with, but this new owner stated he was going to be there to paint all night & go to work every day, yea right, I asked him to let me get my boots on before he starts speaking again.
What rights does the association have in a case like this?
Thanking you in advance.
Bob

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">