• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Condo Association vs Condo Owner

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BlondiePB

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? FL

My condo sustained major damage from Hurricane Wilma. That's why I have not been posting. I was told by the Pres. of Association that the roof to the building I reside in has been repaired enough with the permanent roof (not yet finished) and that the roof is now leak proof.

When it rained last week, water came through my kitchen ceiling fixture. I had my nephew, who is a roofer, go look on the roof of my unit to determine the cause. The Board is all upset with this because no one is supposed to be on the roof without work comp coverage, etc. Yes, this is in the by-laws.

My nephew is hired by me and did not go up on the roof on behalf of the Condo Association. My question is, is it legal for my private duty roofer to check the roof over my unit? This would be a side job for him not under any contractor?

seniorjudge

Sounds like, if the association wanted to get nasty, they could file trespassing charges against him.

On the other hand, the roof is obviously NOT properly fixed or it would not have leaked.

If your nephew has an opinion on what needs to be done to the roof, have him tell the association.

BlondiePB

seniorjudge said:
Sounds like, if the association wanted to get nasty, they could file trespassing charges against him.

On the other hand, the roof is obviously NOT properly fixed or it would not have leaked.

If your nephew has an opinion on what needs to be done to the roof, have him tell the association.
Thanks, Judgy. My nephew did tell the association his opinion already. The Board and the residents who are still residing in the buildings believe that they can reside in the units safely. Since I know better, I went to city hall this morning and talked with building dept. regarding my apartment. I also talked with the electrician dept. (don't know exact name but is code enforcement).

City code electrician seen enough in my apartment to have building department come and reassess every unit. No one else in this community believes that there is a serious problem going on except me. Residents think that I'm an idiot for thinking what is happening is a safety/fire hazard. The city code electrician is having the power company come and disconnect the electricity to both buildings from the transformer.

Yep, this is going to get nasty. I made sure the city documents state that I called regarding my apartment only. I will keep my nephew off the roof. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">