• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Condo Board Meeting Agenda and Open Forum Rules

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pedas2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I sent an email to the my HOA Board last week proposing time limits for unit remodels, requesting that two Time Limit Proposals be placed on the agenda at the April 2014 or May 2014 regularly scheduled Board meeting, I mention that per CA Civil Code, the only way for the Board to discuss and vote on a non-emergency item is for the item to be placed on a Board agenda.

I haven't received a response back from the Board. Even if they are opposed to my two time limit proposals, why do they fear putting it on the agenda and voting them down 5-0? I put a plethora of time into writing the letter not getting a response to it, indicating yes or no as to whether or not it will be placed on the agenda is disheartening.

It seems like the Board must know they have the upper hand since they control the agenda and I'm thinking that if they don't like a topic, they won't place it on the agenda. At this point, it seems like my only option if I don't ever get a reply is to keep sending the same email every month or two with the same request, just modify the dates. I've read the Davis-Stirling Act, which governs condo associations in California and I couldn't find anything in there about how a homeowner's right, ability or way to have an item be added to a Board agenda. If that's the case, then can I assume the only legal way would be to keep sending the same email to the Board every month or two requesting the two proposals be placed on the agenda?

The open forum part of the meeting basically amounts to people standing up and saying whatever they want that's not on the agenda and then the Board just listening with no Board comments, discussion or action being taken. The Board doesn't even allow prepared statements, so you have to speak extemporaneously. I know the Board can set time limits, which they do (I think it's either two or three minutes), but are they legally allowed to ban prepared statements? It's difficult to speak extemporaneously on some issues and also to memorize my two time limit proposals.

STEPHAN

Don't use E-Mail.

If its really important for you, use something like registered mail to have prove that it was sent.

Dave1952

Your HOA probably has a set of rules. You need to read those rules so that you can correctly bring a motion before the HOA. Sending e-mails to the board's secretary does not sound like the correct way to go about this.

BaronR

I would suggest

You attend the next board meeting and during the open forum present your written proposal and ask that it be submitted for consideration at the next meeting. I am a board president in California and I can tell you that nothing works better than to come to a meeting and speak directly to the board.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">