• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Condo Conversion units being rented

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

b27shelle

What is the name of your state? California
The apartment building my mother has lived in for 7 years was recently successful in converting them to condos. Most of the tenants have been evicted and the remaining tenants have pending eviction dates. Most tenants were compensated for their evictions. The tenants were officially notified of this matter in March of this year. To date, there is no evidence that any units have been sold (as of Aug 2005), and the ownership of the building has begun leasing units. Apparently, she can submit an application to lease another unit (not stay in her current apartment) and pay the rent they are currently asking (which is 50% higher than she she is currently paying). Was this just a way around Los Angeles rent control? Additionally, my mother is disabled ... I'm just wondering if this conversion is legal and whether my mother has any additional recourse.

HomeGuru

b27shelle said:
What is the name of your state? California
The apartment building my mother has lived in for 7 years was recently successful in converting them to condos. Most of the tenants have been evicted and the remaining tenants have pending eviction dates. Most tenants were compensated for their evictions. The tenants were officially notified of this matter in March of this year. To date, there is no evidence that any units have been sold (as of Aug 2005), and the ownership of the building has begun leasing units. Apparently, she can submit an application to lease another unit (not stay in her current apartment) and pay the rent they are currently asking (which is 50% higher than she she is currently paying). Was this just a way around Los Angeles rent control? Additionally, my mother is disabled ... I'm just wondering if this conversion is legal and whether my mother has any additional recourse.

**A: there is a lot more to this story. Contact the tenant rights office.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">