• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Condo- Dryer Vent Disconnected

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mel_123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

I own a 2nd floor condo unit. Our HOA requires the homeowner to have their own dryer vent cleaned out at their own expense. Totally fine. I had a company come out to have the dryer vent cleaned only to find out that my dryer vent is disconnected somewhere under the floor of my unit and the ceiling of the unit below mine. Huge fire hazard. To repair the dryer vent would require them to completely tear up the floor or they can install a new dryer vent that will run out through the attic of the building onto the roof. A few months ago, my HOA called and asked if I had any leaks appearing in my unit as the unit below mine had water spots appearing near their fireplace. I didn't have any leaks so the HOA or homeowner handled the issue. I'm wondering now if when they repaired whatever caused the leak in their ceiling if my dryer vent was disconnected or disrupted somehow. I've read my HOA's Declarations document but the wording is a little confusing. As a homeowner of the condo, I own from the drywall and finished floors inward or at least that's what I took away from it. Since the dryer vent is between my floor and the unit below mine would it be the HOA's responsbility to repair or pay for a new dryer vent to be installed? I've contacted my HOA but they are swamped with other requests and won't be able to get to mine until next week. I'm okay paying to install a new one if the responsbility falls on me because I would rather be safe but at the same time I don't want to be paying $800.00 for something that could have been caused by the unit below mine or that is essentially the HOA's responsbility. Any insight is much appreciated!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

I own a 2nd floor condo unit. Our HOA requires the homeowner to have their own dryer vent cleaned out at their own expense. Totally fine. I had a company come out to have the dryer vent cleaned only to find out that my dryer vent is disconnected somewhere under the floor of my unit and the ceiling of the unit below mine. Huge fire hazard. To repair the dryer vent would require them to completely tear up the floor or they can install a new dryer vent that will run out through the attic of the building onto the roof. A few months ago, my HOA called and asked if I had any leaks appearing in my unit as the unit below mine had water spots appearing near their fireplace. I didn't have any leaks so the HOA or homeowner handled the issue. I'm wondering now if when they repaired whatever caused the leak in their ceiling if my dryer vent was disconnected or disrupted somehow. I've read my HOA's Declarations document but the wording is a little confusing. As a homeowner of the condo, I own from the drywall and finished floors inward or at least that's what I took away from it. Since the dryer vent is between my floor and the unit below mine would it be the HOA's responsbility to repair or pay for a new dryer vent to be installed? I've contacted my HOA but they are swamped with other requests and won't be able to get to mine until next week. I'm okay paying to install a new one if the responsbility falls on me because I would rather be safe but at the same time I don't want to be paying $800.00 for something that could have been caused by the unit below mine or that is essentially the HOA's responsbility. Any insight is much appreciated!
I would suggest waiting to hear the HOA's response before worrying. If you are concerned about the hazard your current situation poses, then I would suggest that you refrain from using the dryer until you have a solution.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">