• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Condo fee discounts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrmass

What is the name of your state? MA
Is there any law outlining how condo fees are to be calculated for the individual owners (i.e. by the percent share of ownership) ? I have a situation where some units that own a larger percentage of undivided interest pay less condo fee than units with a smaller share. This doesn't seem right to me, but the condo board seems to claim the right to create individual discounts for certain owners.

mrmass.

HUD-1

What kind of "individual discounts" are you referrring to?

Chapter 183a

Section 6. (a) (i) Except as provided in clause (ii) herein, all common expenses must be assessed against all units in accordance with their respective percentages of undivided interest in the common areas and facilities. The organization of unit owners shall have a lien on a unit for any common expense assessment levied against that unit from the time the assessment becomes due. Common expense assessments must be made at least annually, based on a budget adopted at least annually in accordance with the master deed, trust, or by-laws.

mrmass

By discount I mean that certain units are paying less per sq.ft., so that there is one unit in the buidling which is below me and has the same layout as mine + 1 extra room, but pays only about half the condo fee than I pay. I have inquired about this and the board says its that way because it has always been that way since before any of the current members came to the board. There is 3 more units with similar "discounts", all of which are owned by previous members of the board.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">