• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Condo Fire - who pays to protect contents during demolition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

susisusi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Illinois:confused:

There was a fire in one condo unit on the top floor of my bldg. but the smoke and soot damaged all the units. the entire contents of my unit, being next to the fire, is covered in black soot. The Association Board has decided to tear down all the ceilings on that floor and also the walls. They want the affected owners to sign a waiver stating that we will not hold the Board or the contractors doing the work liable for any damage done to our tubs, sinks, counter tops, floors, carpets or built-in cabinets (in other words, things we cannot remove).
I do not want to sign the waiver because I feel that the contractors should have insurance to cover their demolition work and be held liable for any damage they do inside my unit.
I also want to make sure they even have proper insurance to do the work and also name me as an additional insured on their policy.
Am I right in not signing the waiver and wanting them to show proof of insurance?

Last edited:

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Illinois:confused:

There was a fire in one condo unit on the top floor of my bldg. but the smoke and soot damaged all the units. the entire contents of my unit, being next to the fire, is covered in black soot. The Association Board has decided to tear down all the ceilings on that floor and also the walls. They want the affected owners to sign a waiver stating that we will not hold the Board or the contractors doing the work liable for any damage done to our tubs, sinks, counter tops, floors, carpets or built-in cabinets (in other words, things we cannot remove).
I do not want to sign the waiver because I feel that the contractors should have insurance to cover their demolition work and be held liable for any damage they do inside my unit.
I also want to make sure they even have proper insurance to do the work and also name me as an additional insured on their policy.
Am I right in not signing the waiver and wanting them to show proof of insurance?
**A: are you an owner or a tenant? Did you talk to your own insurance company?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">