• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Condo Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

apollo13

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I own a condo in a two-storey building. I am on the second floor, and there is a unit next to me. The unit under the unit next to me has water coming through her ceiling. Her condo is diagonally to me, not directly under me. It was determined three times by independent plumbers that the neighbor next to me, on the second floor, is the problem. All three times, when they turn his water on, it leaked. They ran water here, it didn't. That neighbor keep saying it's us. When I talked to him, he keeps saying that all the times that we had it evaluated, the professional plumbers "assumed" it was his leak. The he says "I believe it's your unit". And I am telling him "You can BELIEVE all you want, we have the facts." Now it's borderline harrassment. Can I do anything? This is getting out of hand.
Thank you!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I own a condo in a two-storey building. I am on the second floor, and there is a unit next to me. The unit under the unit next to me has water coming through her ceiling. Her condo is diagonally to me, not directly under me. It was determined three times by independent plumbers that the neighbor next to me, on the second floor, is the problem. All three times, when they turn his water on, it leaked. They ran water here, it didn't. That neighbor keep saying it's us. When I talked to him, he keeps saying that all the times that we had it evaluated, the professional plumbers "assumed" it was his leak. The he says "I believe it's your unit". And I am telling him "You can BELIEVE all you want, we have the facts." Now it's borderline harrassment. Can I do anything? This is getting out of hand.
Thank you!
Don't engage the neighbor on this matter.

festival

Make the matter known to your board of directors. The owners association usually has the authority to settle disputes, to enforce your right to peaceful possession of the property, to gain access to condo units, do repairs, and assess the cost to the right party. Also, the water is probably damaging the building and the common elements that are the responsibility of the association, and the pipe may be a (limited) common element that the association has to repair.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">